Thursday, April 14, 2011

Bummed!

I got the bad news today that Seattle Electric Bike is not going to be able to retrofit my current bike with a bionx system.  That means no battery powered torque to get my sorry ass up the Seattle hills.  I guess I am going to have to bike the old fashioned way, lots of cardio pumping, sweat activated, muscle power.  Bleh. How pathetic am I that I am this bummed about not getting electric assistance?!  But hey, we do live in a technologically based world.  Why should I limit the technology assistance that I get daily with computers, iPhones, etc. doesn't my ass deserve some technological ingenuity?  I would like to think so.  But, alas, it is not to be.  The other bad news, as if that isn't enough, is that I also got a mini lecture on how unsafe my front mount bike seat is.  The guy at the bike shop said his mechanic was "adamant" about the safety issues surrounding my Yepp Mini.  He also kept calling it a basket.  So either he thinks my kid is riding Toto style  or lots of people, including yours truly, are putting their tiny tots in harms way.  I have yet to find an article citing the safety issues with my seat or front mounted seats.  There are concerns about everything, so naturally there would be concerns about this type of setup.  So I guess I have a choice, get rid of the front and back seat (because both have "issues") and go to a trailer (oh, but wait, concerns there too!) or just stop cycling because it is just dangerous.  Bleh.  I think I will continue to be as safe as I can and try to get myself into some kind of shape where our mountains that we call hills resemble some kind of speed bump.  


On a lighter note.....I have had Pink Floyd's "I've Got a Bike" in my head for days!  So I am now going to cyber sing it for all of you, so that you can have it stuck in your head too.


I've got a bike
You can ride it if you like
It's got a basket
A bell that rings
And things to make it look good
I'd give it to you if I could
But I borrowed it 



And a link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYzNRnMLYAg



1 comment:

  1. I've done much research in regards to the crossroads of hauling kids & electricity. Would love to talk to you about it!

    ReplyDelete